The cost to rewire a house is not always fixed and can vary depending on the complexity of the job.
Many UK properties have old and worn out electrical rewiring systems that pose a serious risk.
Rewiring not only is a great way of adding value to your home, but it also provides a reliable electrical system that ensures the safety of your family.
When there are no obvious issues like fuses blowing or lights flickering, it is easy to assume that everything is working perfectly.
After all, the idea of rewiring a house makes many of us imagine an incredibly messy and costly process.
But safety regulations for wiring are constantly being updated, and it is important to ensure that your property is safe.
How Much Does it Cost to Rewire a House?
The total cost to rewire a house will be determined by a variety of factors but don’t let this put you off.
To give you an idea of what to expect the table below will outline our average electrical rewiring costs.
|Cost to rewire||Type||Price From|
What Does The Cost of a House Rewire Depend On?
The total cost to rewire a house depends on individual projects, the difficulty of the process and the necessary procedures required to fully ensure that your home is functioning at its optimal level when the job is finished.
Factors that affect the overall cost of rewiring a house include:
- The type of property – Flats and houses are built differently, so the wall materials and the dimensions of a property can impact the overall price.
- The overall size of the property – Needless to say, the larger the property, more work is required, which leads to higher costs.
- How many bedrooms there are – Generally, the more rooms you have, the bigger the cost because it needs extra time and labour.
- The age of the property – Older houses, especially those over 30years old that have not had any rewiring done, will need extra work to be fully modernised.
- The state of the current system – If your electrical system has been neglected for a long period of time without any maintenance, then it will probably require extra work.
- Whether the property is occupied or vacant during the process – Occupied houses demand more planning and take longer to rewire, which increases labour costs and leads to a higher price.
- The overall timescale – Most companies will calculate the quote based on the time needed to finish a project to ensure they meet their labour costs.
- The geographical location – Where you live also affects the rewiring costs as prices vary in different places.
What is Included in The Rewiring Cost?
- Taking out old fittings and wiring
- Consumer unit upgrades
- Installing new wiring throughout the property
- Rewire telephone and tv aerial sockets
- Rewire electrical accessories such as socket outlets and switches
- Adding or removing light fixtures and switches if needed
Electrical Installation Test
Before you go ahead if you are unsure about rewiring you can carry out an electrical installation test to see if it’s necessary.
The electrical installation test is overlooked by many, but it is absolutely mandatory.
In fact, the building regulations require the electrical installation condition report (EICR) to be carried out by qualified electricians every ten years, and every five years if you are a landlord.
So what does the test involve? The electrical engineer will thoroughly inspect your property to identify any potentially dangerous issues that might need urgent attention or else could lead to fire and injury.
The price of (EICR) can vary depending on the size of your property and the provider, but the average price is £100 to £300.
Since electrical installations do deteriorate over time, an annual vision inspection can help prevent problems in future.
Things to Consider
As previously discussed, the total cost to rewire a house can vary as no two projects are the same.
However, there are other extra costs involved that need to be carefully considered.
Rewiring is a complicated process that requires making holes in walls to access the channels.
Some companies may offer post-work repairing in their services that include plastering and decorating.
When gather quotes, it is always a good idea to ask your installers about the post-work repairs.
Our House Rewiring Costs
Securing the cost of a house rewire with us is simple. We can offer you a detailed quote by visiting your property and carrying out a full survey.
What sets us apart from other companies is that we give you a fixed price that will not change unless you make major changes on the day of installation.
We also offer extra installations:
- Extractor fans
- Shaver points
- Decorative light fittings
- Flush spotlights
- Carbon monoxide alarm
- Bespoke accessories
- Garage installations
- Aerial points
- Networking cables and many more